The word ‘selfie’ has quickly become part of our daily speech. We often hear it on TV and Radio and I’m always seeing it on Instagram, twitter and facebook, etc… even books have been released about creating the perfect selfie and the word was actually added to the Oxford Dictionary in 2013! After so many of my amazing social network followers polish their nails, many snap a quick picture and post it to share their Leighton Denny manicure with me and all their followers.
So what do you call a nail #selfie? A #nailfie, obviously!
Using # on posts
The # symbol, called a hashtag, is used to mark keywords or topics in a post. It was created organically by social network users as a way to categorise messages.
Using hashtags to categorize posts by keywords
People use the hashtag symbol # before a relevant keyword or phrase (no spaces) in their posts to categorize those posts and help them show more easily in searching a subject.
- Clicking on a hashtagged word in any message shows you all other posts marked with that keyword.
- Hashtags can occur anywhere in the post – at the beginning, middle, or end.
- Hashtagged words that become very popular are often Trending Topics.
Using the # correctly:
- If you post with a hashtag on a public account, anyone who does a search for that hashtag word may find your post.
- Don't #spam #with #hashtags. Don't over-tag a single post. (Using no more than 4 hashtags per post is recommended)
- Use hashtags only on posts relevant to the topic.
Leighton Denny Polish + Selfie = #LDnailfie
Tips to take the best #LDnailfie:
1. In The Spotlight!
Natural light is usually the best, because it helps shows the true colour or effect of the polish. If that’s not an option, try to find a well-lit space to take your #LDnailfie. One trick I discovered while searching online is to take your #LDnailfie holding your hand inside the fridge! A bit chilly but apparently the white interior and bright light usually make for a good #LDnailfie!
2. What’s behind you?
Choose a simple or contrasting background, like a wall, a table, the grass outside, or the interior of your fridge. Too much clutter in the background of your image could be distracting to your all important #LDnailfie.
3. Get in position...
You obviously want your nails to be clearly visible—this is a #LDnailfie, after all; not a selfie! Always plan on holding some kind of object, such as a polish bottle or flower. Make sure your polish is fully visible and whatever you’re holding is facing the right way.
Here are some examples of fab #LDnailfie styles that’s been sent to me. Clink the links below to see some fab difernet styles of #LDnailfies on my social network pages:
These are only a few of the many, many fantastic images and creative ways to share your manicures, make sure you follow me on my social network pages for more inspiration to perfect your #LDnailfie. Twitter HERE - Instagram HERE - Facebook HERE
Big thanks to everyone who sends me messages and images, I love seeing and reading them all!
So tell me…
1) After reading this will you be using the hashtag #LDnailfie?
2) Do you have any top-tips to create the perfect #LDnailfie?
3) If you already hashtag, what’s your #LDnailfie style?
Thanks for reading my blog and please leave your comments below!